Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

7-year-old Friends!

I got to go with my friend to school in Korea and met some new friends! These children are 7 years old by Korean age calculation standards. They go to this school to learn English.

They shared me very nicely with each other!

A little about Korean age calculation, which can be confusing if you aren't sure how it works...

everyone is "1" at birth, and everybody gets a year older at the new year rather than on their birthday, so sometimes a person's Korean age can be almost two years more than it would be in the West. For example, a person born in December who is 24 by Western standards is actually already 26 by Korean standards in January.

So, these students are 7 years old in Korea, but they would only be 5 or 6 in the west. They are all learning to speak English very well!

They thought I was cute, too.  :-)


All the best!

Michael TheMonkey

5 comments:

  1. Coo, that's interesting!!! I wonder how that would work for me - I've had three birthdays but the first one I didn't have an age, the second one I was eight and the third one, I was three..... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children, they are so cute... We are expecting our first baby by the end of June so we are very happy :)
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting! The children in G.'s class are 7 and 8 years old (european counting). It's a lovely age to teach! They are big enough to understand a lot and little enough to enjoy story's and believing in Santa etc! We always like to take a look in other classrooms! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you made some new friends there, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I suppose it depends on the year you were born, Beanie Mouse :-) Wow, congratulations Raquel, that's wonderful!!! Yes, children are so cute and fun to be around, they are always so excited to learn new things! I was glad to spend a day with them ;-) I would be curious to see G.'s classroom too, do you have it on your blog??? I will take a look.

    ReplyDelete